Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Vacation Recap

Another photo essay, courtesy of the vacation to Hawaii I'm still jetlagging from. To make the pictures full size, just click on them.

A philosopher's chair...rarely sat in but often pondered.


My step-dad Chris enjoying a sunset at the beach.


Obligatory sunset picture number 2


My step-grandmother Susan refusing to sit correctly


A Bare Looking Tree


A Beach View


A Sea Turtle swimming away from me (I probably looked scary. Figures.)


The Big Island: just a bunch of lava rocks, connected to some trees, sitting on the ocean.


More Beachy goodness.


Attack of the radishes! (Mom loves restaurants with big plates and small portions of brightly colored food. This particular restaurant had lotus root on the menu, which is pretty ridiculous if you think about it.)



A couple enjoying the surf and turf on the seaside at the afore-mentioned fancy restaurant.



One last sunset picture...


I mostly took this picture to prove that the Big Island is mostly not beaches, but looks like this...almost like some parts of California....

...or like this, with fields upon fields of lava rocks. The white rock you see is a tradition: people write their names and messages with the white rocks so they are visible from the highway. I'm not positive, but I think it's partly for good luck, and partly so people can advertise that they've been here.


A view from the mountainside down to the sea at Susan's house. Off to the left are where I saw the sheep, and down to the right were some cows. Felt kind of like I wasn't in Hawaii.


Mom's creme brulee, which she cooked for Chris' family one night...anything Mom cooks deserves a picture.


An avocado tree in the orchard at Chris' parents' house...


And a baby avocado, on the tree. I wonder what it dreams of being when it grows up. A regular avocado? Or does it have pipedreams of being, say, a grapefruit?


Not quite all the way to the orchard, Chris' parents have a lawn made of not-native grass. It is as thick and plush as shag carpeting, people. My very pale foot is here, sinking into the cushy blades.


A view from the highway of the wind turbines down by the sea.


Butterfly close-up. I'm not going to lie, I chased this thing for a good 20 minutes before it would settle down and stay put long enough for me to get close to it.


And lastly, Sheep!

No comments: